Frequently AskedQuestions


How to know whether the higher education institution is accredited?

The Singapore government has some accrediting agencies that are administered by the SPRING (Standards, Productivity and Innovation Board) Singapore or MOE (Ministry of Education) Singapore to accredit the educational institutions and its program.

Which are the Quality Assurance Agencies?

The Higher Education Division (HED) under the Ministry of Education Singapore manages and administers the higher education in Singapore. The HED is responsible for financing and planning the 4 autonomous universities: NTU, NUS, SMU and SUTD.

Another authority that works towards achieving international standards of education is SQC-PEO (Singapore Quality Class for Private Organization).

Another agency under MOE is the Council for Private Education that administers the private education in Singapore.

What are the types of higher education institutions in Singapore?

Singapore is home to public and private universities as well as several branch campuses of foreign universities.

What is the academic calendar for higher education institutions in Singapore?

The academic calendar varies across universities and programs. A typical academic calendar has two semesters- semester 1 (August until December) and semester 2 (January until May). Please check with respective institution.

What is the language of instruction at higher education level in Singapore?

The language of instruction at higher education level in Singapore is English.

Is it possible to work while studying in Singapore?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time while studying in Singapore under certain conditions and also subject to approval by the higher education institution in which you are enrolled.

Is there any financial aid and scholarships/grants offered to international students?

Yes, financial aid is offered to international students by the Singapore Ministry of Education, Universities and other Organizations/financial institutions.

Application FAQs

Is there any application fee to apply to higher education institutions in Singapore?

Yes, some of the higher education institutions in Singapore have an application fee and it varies from university to university. It is a non-refundable fee. In some cases, the application fee may be waived.

What are the admission requirements?

The admission requirements vary from university to university and program to program. Generally an applicant must have completed standard XII or its equivalent for the bachelor’s degree program, bachelor’s degree for master’s degree program and master’s degree in the related field for PhD studies. Visit the official website of the respective university to know more.

What are the English Language proficiency requirements?

International students whose medium of instruction is not English are required to prove their English language proficiency by submitting the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)/IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score reports.

What is the minimum GPA required to be eligible for study in universities in Singapore?

The minimum GPA requirement varies by university and its program.

Are there any interviews for admission?

Depends on the program. There are interviews for graduate program at some universities in Singapore.

Is there any cap on the intake of the international students each year?

Yes, there is. But it varies from university to university.

Visa FAQs

What should I do to get an entry visa for Singapore?

The university in which you are accepted will apply for the entry visa and an IPA (In-Principle Approval) letter on the behalf of the student through the ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration system (SOLAR).

The university will send the IPA (In-Principle Approval) letter via email to the international students after the application is approved by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). This IPA letter serves as a single-entry visa to Singapore. For international students who do not need an entry visa, they will get stamped IPA (In-Principle Approval) letter during registration day.

What is the visa fee?

Visit the ICA website Alternatively, you can ask about the fee at the counter with Immigration Officer or through email at

Who needs a student pass?

An international student needs a student pass to undertake full-time studies in Singapore. Though there are certain exceptions. To know more, visit the “Student’s Pass” section of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

How to know whether I need a single-entry visa or multiple-entry visa when having a Student’s Pass?

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority will decide on whether you need single or multiple-entry visa. This will be mentioned in the IPA letter issued to you by the university.

How to apply for Student’s Pass?

Apply for Student’s Pass at Student’s Pass On-Line Application and Registration system (SOLAR)  The university will register the student and provide the SOLAR application reference number and other login details to the student by which he/she can login to SOLAR and submit eForm16. After submission of eForm via SOLAR, take a print out and submit it along with the stamped IPA to the Student’s Pass Unit, ICA Building. Make an appointment and complete the formalities.

* Issuance of Student’s Pass entirely depends on the result of the medical examinations.

What documents are required for Student’s Pass?

  • eForm 16 print copy duly signed by the candidate
  • A student embarkation/demarcation card
  • A medical report in the format as on the ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) official website
  • A valid passport along with a copy of the same
  • One recent passport-size photograph (color with white background)
  • A copy of IPA (in-principal approval) letter

What is the processing time for Student’s Pass?

The processing time is 5 working days for international students who do not need visa to enter Singapore; and 10 working days for international students who need visa to enter Singapore.

What should I do if I have lost my Pass?

Apply for replacement at Immigration & Checkpoints Authority within 7 days from the date when you lost it. To know the documents required and other details, visit ICA website

Are there any medical tests involved?

Students have to undergo certain medical examinations prior to starting their higher studies in Singapore by a qualified medical practitioner in their home country or in Singapore. The Student’s Pass is not granted if HIV infection or Tuberculosis is found.